Thursday 2 July 2015

Are they dupes? Avon Mineral Crush in Rose Quartz (aka Stardust inCrystallised Rose) vs Illamasqua Trilliant ...

I recently bought Illamasqua Star Burst polish in the shade Trilliant, and felt all smug at finding a £15 polish for £3.99 (I found my bottle in TK Maxx). However my smugness would soon turn to sheepishness when I was rummaging though my stash and saw this...


Yeah - looking at the polishes in the bottles I'd call them dupes, but do they swatch similarly?


(l to r) Rose Quartz, Trilliant 

In the photos the two shades look like dead-on dupes, however when you have swatches in front of you in real life you can tell that the Avon polish definitely has a bit more pink in the base in comparison to Trilliant.  

But still, with the huge price difference and constant money saving deals that Avon have, I highly recommend trying out the Mineral Crush range before splurging on Illamasqua's Star Burst line.
* Avon have a shade called Pearl in their Mineral Crush line, and based on swatch pictures it looks even closer to Trilliant. 

Rose Quartz 

Rose Quartz is a well pigmented two coater, that has a textured but-not-overly-so finish. It dries to a matte finish, so it dries quickly- a great choice if you are in a rush.

The average wear time for all the polishes  in Avon's Nailwear Pro lines is just as good as big brands (eg OPI) on me, so no complaints here.


You can buy Avon products from a door to door representatives, or through their site store.
Rose Quartz is on the site here for £6.


        


Trilliant is described by Illamasqua as having a champagne base, but I think that the base shade has a very slight pink undertone to it. The polish dries semi-matte, but the shimmer and glitter is so shiny it almost looks like a creme. The polish has a slightly texturised finish,  but it isn't as gritty as it's main lookalikes - OPI Liquid Sand polishes.

The regular Illamasqua polishes are the longest wearing polishes that I've tried, and this Star Burst one is no different- even without using a topcoat.


Illamasqua Star Burst polishes cost £15 online, or at a counter. 
I found my bottle in TK Maxx for only £3.99, so if you have a store near you it is well worth the trip to see what's in stock that day.

1 comment: