Tuesday 10 February 2015

NOTD; Bad Romance by Deborah Lippmann...

I'm not feeling very romantic and cute today, so allow me to show off a anti-Valentine mani for Valentine's Day week.
Yes - the name had a more then a bit to do with why I bought today's Spotlight polish, as I'm a big Lady Gaga fan and that song in particular is one of my faves. Take that name for a black based polish, and toss in fuchsia glitter = my perfect polish. 

Doesn't it?

Bad Romance is a black jelly polish, filled with small fuchsia hex glitter and some medium-sized fuchsia hex glitter. The black jelly base is so well pigmented that it is opaque in two coats, and looks more like a crelly to me.

This polish looks great and the glitter applies & spreads perfectly, which is a huge plus. But the pluses to this polish are lessened by the negatives I've experienced with this & other Deborah Lippmann polishes; they are slow to dry and the quick-dry topcoats I've tried using on them (China Glaze, OPI for Sephora & Ciate) doesn't work - in fact qd topcoats turn the polish into a funky mess, so I end up removing my mani straight away. Quick dry drops DO work, luckily, so I use my OPI or Zoya ones after the second coat of polish (I leave the first coat to dry naturally).


This is a pretty polish and I don't regret buying it, but it also hasn't blown me away either. The formula isn't what I'd expect from a polish with a RRP of £14.50 as, as well as being slow to dry, the polishes tend to chip after the first day. There's no way I'd pay full wack for a Deborah Lippmann polish - none of the ones I've tried in the brand have amazing formulas.

Deborah Lippmann does have unique glitter shades (other brands do copy a lot of them at later dates - see below) so I'm willing to try more by the brand, when I find the polishes cheap in TK Maxx, or on eBay.

Sorry about my messy cuticles, but pushing them back goes through me...

Revlon made what many call a dupe for this polish called Facets of Fuchsia, but I believe that it has been discontinued. I'm not sure if it ever had a UK release, as I'd been looking for it routinely in local stores for a year or so before caving and buying Bad Romance, but never found it. Crappily stocked stores, or a non-UK release?

Wet n' Wild also had a near-dupe called Night Prowler, which has also been discontinued - but Wet n' Wild hasn't been sold in the UK for years anyway.


I bought my bottle for £7.99 [free p&p] from an eBay store here
I've bought a few things from this seller before, and have never had any problems with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment