Thursday 5 September 2013

Speedy review: Killer Queen by Katy Perry...

A playful, sophisticated, powerful, edgy and delicious fragrance, Killer Queen reflects the rebellious spirit of Katy...


"Killer Queen has been in my vocabulary since I was 15, because of the song ‘Killer Queen’ by Queen. Freddie Mercury painted the lyrics of this woman who I wanted to be. She seemed very powerful, and she captivated a room when she walked in. I named my company Killer Queen after those lyrics. I feel like, after all this time, it was appropriate to use that name in association with something I did. I feel like I’m falling, finally, into that woman Freddie painted" - Katy perry
 


Killer Queen opens with a rich plum note. I can also make out what I think is blackberry. The plum note is long and distinctive, so carries down to the heart of the perfume, along with the patchouli. I'm not familiar with celosia, and - except for the jasmine - I am not able to separate any floral notes from the sweetly powdered floral jumble heart of the fragrance, as the praline develops and mixes with the patchouli, lasting for the duration of the perfume. I think that the powdered floral mix is very similar to Taylor by Taylor Swift [Elizabeth Arden] overall, so maybe there is some orange blossom, peony and/or magnolia in Killer Queen?

There is no strong indication between the heart notes and the base, thanks to the constant presence of the dark fruit, praline and patchouli. The soft, creamy sandalwood combines with the praline & adds a slight nuttiness so it is a warm, comforting mix, which does lend a bit of a different air to Killer Queen as it dries down. The final drydown reminds me of LancĂ´me's La Vie Est Belle.

Official scent notes; wild berries, dark plum, bergamot, velvety red flower (Celosia), Sambac jasmine, rainbow plumeria [frangipani], cashmere, patchouli and liquid praline.

Killer Queen is pleasant and easy to wear for autumn/winter, but it's not something that I'd wear in warmer weather as dark fruits turn sickly on me. I will happily use my bottle as it's here, but I'll only rebuy it if I find it at huge discount.

Going by the marketing campaign for this, I was expecting Killer Queen to be more unique and confidently commanding. However the result doesn't have a unique stamp of it's own to make it stand out from the crowd, and that missing spark stops me from truly enjoying Killer Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment