Thursday 12 September 2013

Continuing my hair colour journey; Schwarzkopf Color Mask in Dark Blonde [700]...


 
 
I'm already a fan of Schwarzkopf's XXL and Salon Style hair colourants, so it was only a matter of time before I tried their latest range: Color Mask. The main selling point of this range is that the formula of the dye is like a conditioning mask; it has a thick formula, so you apply it to your hair using your hands so it gets right to the hair roots, and there are no drips.

Was the application that easy, and was it mess-free? Yes, and yes again. Plus the dye was super easy to rinse from my hair, using only water. Plus it didn't have any harsh chemical smell, and my hair didn't feel dry after dying.

And how was the colour? I love it - it was exactly what I expected and wanted. A blonde that wasn't too light, or too warm. Check out the shine...




Then came the root touch up...

Guess what? This shade will not dye my roots the same shade as it dyes the lengths. Of course, if my hair were naturally dark I'd expect this, but it isn't. My natural hair colour is ash [not quite light enough to be truly blonde, but still too light and colourless to be classed as brown], and the box claims it will dye dark blonde and light brown the same shade...




To be fair the difference in the resulting shades between my hair root and lengths isn't too bad and is much less then with previous blonde home dye kits - most people I asked barely noticed the difference. So I could grow it out and keep using this shade for grey cover and shine if I wanted to.

But when you know it isn't quite right, you focus on it... So yeah, this shade has some good points, but was ultimately a bit of a disappointment for me.





I want to clarify that I do love the formula; it doesn't have a harsh smell, it doesn't stain or irritate skin, it covers my grey streaks perfectly, it is fade resistant and has a long lasting shine. For the last few weeks I've been washing my hair with Vosene and haven't been using a conditioner in a attempt to cause the dye to fade before I recolour it, but the shade hasn't noticeably faded. My hair is still silky smooth and shiny too.


As the formula has proven to be shade resistant and left my hair in good condition I've just recoloured my hair using the shade in Light Brown [600].



How will the slightly darker shade fare?

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment